Complex adaptive systems
- What is an information system?
- What is a complex adaptive system (CAS)?
- What are the main differences between complex and complicated systems?
- What is an emergent property?
- What is positive and negative feedback in a CAS?
- When is a CAS an “open system”?
- When should an information system be modeled as a CAS?
- Why is a visual model useful when analyzing an emergent property?
- What are some important tools used for CAS analysis?
- What is catastrophic failure in a CAS?
Homogeneous and inhomogeneous networks
- What are homogeneous and inhomogeneous networks?
- What are sparse and dense networks?
- What is a proximity graph?
- What is a random graph?
- What is a generalized random graph?
- What is a small-world network?
- What is the preferential attachment model (or BA network model)?
- What is a power-law distribution?
- What does a power-law distribution look like in a log-log plot?
- What is a hub?
Network components and robustness
- What is a network component?
- What is a giant component?
- Why are we interested in giant components?
- When does a random network have a giant component?
- When does a generalized random network have a giant component?
- How does a giant component evolve?
- Is a network likely to have multiple giant components?
- Is the BA model robust or fragile to removal of hubs?
- Is the BA model robust or fragile to removal of random nodes?
- What does the BA model tell us about the robustness of the Internet?
- What is an epidemic?
- What are some common examples of epidemics?
- What is the susceptible-infected-susceptible (SIS) model?
- What is the susceptible-infected (SI) model?
- What is the spreading rate of a network?
- When is there spreading in homogeneous and inhomogeneous networks?
- How do hubs affect spreading?
- What is an information monoculture?
- What is software diversity?
- How can a monoculture be modified to prevent spreading?
- What is a shortest path between two nodes?
- What is the average path length (APL)?
- What happens to the APL when hubs are removed in a BA network?
- What is the diameter of a network?
- What is the clustering coefficient of a node?
- What is the average clustering coefficient?
- Do social networks tend to have small or large clustering coefficients?
- What is (dis)assortative mixing?
- What is betweenness centrality of a node?
- What is closeness centrality of a node?
1D and 2D cellular automata
- What are one-dimensional (1D) cellular automata (CA)?
- How are Wolfram's four CA classes different?
- Can you predict the behavior of CAs?
- What is so special about CA rule 110?
- Why can the study of “noisy” CAs tell us something about diversity?
- What is the two-dimensional (2D) WATOR model?
- Why is the WATOR model showing cyclic behavior?
- What is the predator-predator model?
- why is it important that a model is based on real-world data?
- How can a model be tested?
Black and gray swan events
- What is a major stakeholder?
- What are some examples of major stakeholders?
- What is a black swan event?
- What are some examples of black swans?
- What is a gray swan event?
- What are some examples of gray swan events?
- What does it mean that back and gray swans are outliers?
- Are all large-impact events swans?
- What is the main difference between Normal and fat-tail distributions?
- Why is it dangerous to assume that incidents in a CAS have a Normal distribution?
- Can black swans be identified?
- Can gray swans be identified?
- Can we determine the probability of swans?
- Can we determine the impact of swans?
- Why are swans ignored?
- What is negative responsibility?
- What is a “too big to fail” system?
- What are the two main types od systems susceptible to swans?
- Why should swans be mitigated during the design phase of system?
- Why must a risk management team have a diverse skill set?
NetLogo and Gephi
- What is agent-based modeling?
- What are some advantages of agent-based modeling?
- What are some limitations of agent-based modeling?
- What is interactive visualization?
- What are some advantages of interactive visualization?
- What are some limitations of interactive visualization?
Last updated 09.05.13.